Sunday, January 15, 2006


How beautiful is your city?

" Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the lamb down the middle of the great street of the city." Rev 22:1-2.

The Bible tells us that God loves cities and that as Christians we are destined to live and serve in them for eternity.

London is my earthly city, and I truly love her. I invite readers from all over the world to tell us what is so beautiful about their city. To help me describe London I have enlisted the help of William Wordsworth

Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This city now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning: silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er sawI, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at its own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!

So, if you love your city then I would love to hear about it.

God bless
Dave

12 Comments:

Blogger Pig wot flies said...

I love London, my birthplace. But I'm learning to love Cambridge, where I find myself now. Although it has to compete in my affections with Oxford. And Bath. I think I've been spoilt by living in so many beautiful places.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Dotun said...

that picture is astoundingly good

8:34 AM  
Blogger Dave Routledge said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Dave Routledge said...

Thank you for your comment Bekki, and Dotun I would love to hear your eloquent description of Lagos

11:26 AM  
Blogger James said...

Great picture. Umm, London... I was born in London and although London is without doubt a beautiful city, it also, like a lot of others cities around the world has a darker side, in which for a while I lived. An experience, yes, repeatable, NO. I have grown to dislike and love London at the same time. Is it the buildings and sunset/rise, or the people that make a city truely great/beautiful??
What a great peom.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Dave Routledge said...

Hello smile and the world smiles with you

Thank very much for your comments. I am flattered to say the least, but I am afraid the poem was written by William Wordsworth. But I did take the photograph.

I know what you mean about not getting the most from London; I think it was Oscar Wilde who said "He who is tired of London is tired of life."

Incidentally, I am currently working on a new play; It's about a young man (well,thirty) whose father has been murdered by his uncle in order to become king. To complicate matters the young man's father's ghost appears to him urging him to take revenge........I envisage it ending in a big sword fight and am toying with the idea of calling it "Hamlet"; What do you Think?

Thank you so much for your kind words and welcome to the blog.

God bless
Dave

2:50 PM  
Blogger Pig wot flies said...

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said "He who is tired of London is tired of life."

Actually it was Samuel Johnson. It continues "For there is in London all that life can afford", which as James points out includes beauty and darkness.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Dave Routledge said...

Thanks Bekki

8:09 AM  
Blogger Debs said...

I didn't know that bit about 'earth has not anything to show more fair' was about London! It really surprises me. Actually not sure about London but I am quite fond of Walthamstow having lived here now for 28 years. When we got married we thought we would soon escape back to the country (well town rather than city) but here we are still.
Elly borrowing Debs's account
The odd thing about a city is that there isn't an end to it or that's what it seems like. Reminds me of Jonah who journeyed 3 days into Nineveh before delivering his message.
Sorry getting a bit carried away.
Agree the picture is great. Well done Dave.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Debs said...

Why can't there be comments from non-bloggers? I don't want to be anonymous, but I'd like to be able to comment.
Elly borrowing Debs's account again

1:58 PM  
Blogger Dave Routledge said...

Hi Elly

Thank you for your kind words.

I know what you mean about not being able to comment unless you have a blogging account. It caused me no end of frustration! Adrian tells me that if you allow anyone to comment then your blog will be inundated with unwanted SPAM.
So it is a bit of a trade off as I would much prefer it if anyone could comment.

God bless
Dave

4:38 AM  
Blogger SB said...

I love my city I have a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge(I'm from San Francisco)on my banner. YOu have a great blog Dave-love the answer mother-in law gave about the law and grace.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home